Monday, February 7, 2011

Awesome Chocolate Cake

OK, so I made the Chocolate-Strawberry Celebration Cake and it was AWESOME!


This recipe was submitted to Taste of Home by Nora Fitzgerald from Sevierville, Tennessee.


Chocolate-Strawberry Celebration Cake


PREP: 30 MIN BAKE: 30 MIN + COOLING YIELD: 12 SERVINGS


1 pkg (18 1/4 oz. chocolate cake mix)- I used a Duncan Hines german chocolate cake mix

1 pkg (3.9oz) instant chocolate pudding mix

4 eggs

1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream

3/4 cup H2O

1/4 cup canola oil

4 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted


Frosting:

2 cups butter, softenened

4 cups confectioners' sugar

3/4 cup baking cocoa

1/2 cup 2 % milk- although I used whole milk


Garnishes:

2 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted

1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled


Ganache:

4 oz. semisweet cholcolate, chopped

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream


Combine the first 7 ingredients; beat on low for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to 2 greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. ***This is the best cake batter I think I've ever had.***


Bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Beat the butter, confectioner's sugar and cocoa until blended. Add milk and beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.


Pipe or spoon melted chocolate onto waxed paper in decorative designs; let stand until set. Arrange strawberries on top of cake. For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. heat cream just to a boil; pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing ganache to drape down the sides. Top with chocolate garnishes.


I didn't take a picture of this cake; I forgot until I had it wrapped and setting on my car floor for a ride. I trimmed the top of the cake layers to make them level and, of course, had to eat them. The frosting was terrific, light, smooth and chocolatey. And the cake was super!


Definitely making this one again for me. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment