Friday, July 2, 2010

Cake 4- Apricot Almond Tart


This cake, cake number 4- the Apricot Almond Tart, I just started preparing last night. It will be for a 4th of July get together at our place. I've tried to make the cakes during the most appropriate season based on their ingredients. Since apricots are in season and this just sounded good, I'm giving this one a go.

Last night I baked the two 9" round cake layers and I wrapped them in foil and put them in the freezer. My mother does this to keep the moisture in the cake and I'm telling you that cakes always taste better after some time in the freezer. Plus they're so much easier to cut in 1/2 for layers.

This cake was very mild. The frosting was very rich, but the lightness of the cake was a good complement. It was almost all gone by the end of the party. I think this cake would pair nicely with vanilla ice cream.

It was a challenge to create the layers in this cake, just time consuming really. Anyway, loved the look and taste of this one.
Apricot Almond Torte
Prep: 45 Min. Bake: 25 Min. Yield: 12 Servings

Cake Batter:
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup ground almonds, roasted
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

Frosting:
1 pkg (8oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt.
1 tsp. almond extract
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
1 jar (10 to 12 oz.) apricot preserves
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Directions:
In large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla on high speed til thick and lemon-colored. Combine flour, almonds, baking powder and salt; gradually fold into egg mixture alternately with whipped cream.

Transfer to 2 greased and floured 9 in. round baking pans. Batke at 350 degrees for 22-28 minutes til toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.


In another large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and salt til smooth. Beat in extract and fold in whipped cream.

Cut each cake into 2 layers. Place bottom layer on serving plate and spread with frosting. top with another cake layer; spread with preserves. Repeat layers. Frost sides of cake. Decorate top edge with remaining frosting and sprinkle top with slivered almonds.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Rayna,I just saw this via Facebook and think it looks delicious! We love anything with almond so I hope you can give us the recipe.
    The chocolate truffle cake sounds deeelicious too. It reminds me of a delicious French ganache cake that I made for one of my sons' birthday. We still think about it. It was a very rich chocolate, but we still think about it.
    I'm going to try your recipe!

    Love,
    Ariel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good! Hope you enjoy them. I thought this was something fun to do and I can always come up with a good excuse to eat cake.

    ReplyDelete